Understanding The Modification Process

“So many people live within unhappy circumstances and yet will not take the initiative to change their situation”

– Jon Krakauer, Into the Wild

In most instances when an award for time-sharing, child support, or alimony is entered by the court, that award will remain in place for years to come. It doesn’t necessarily follow, however, that your circumstances will remain the same. Although there are a few exceptions, a party to a family law case is often able to modify their time-sharing schedule, child support, or alimony award if he or she can show that there has been a substantial change of circumstances that were involuntary, unforeseen, and material to the situation at hand.

Often times the Law Office of Philip A. McLeod, P.A., sees litigants suffer an involuntary reduction of income after the entry of a final judgment. It is important that such individuals explore their options with regard to a potential modification of an alimony or child support award.

A modification of child support or alimony may also be available if the other party is now in a substantially better financial situation and the support recipient’s needs have increased, which frequently occurs with the passage of time.

It is also common to see the needs of children change. The perfect timesharing arrangement five years ago may no longer be appropriate. In such cases, it is imperative a parent or former spouse carefully examine his or her options.

Act Now; Call Today

If you feel you may be entitled to a favorable modification, call and make an appointment at our St. Petersburg office at 727-823-2527. You can also email us. We would be happy to review your case in a no-obligation consultation.